More Than a Church
A Welcoming Church in the Heart of Milledgeville
The history of the ElBethel Baptist Church can be traced back to 1897. In 1906, Rev. T.C. Carr along with Dea. J. H. Hill, Dea. Marshall Griggs, and Dea. J.L. Lawerence purchased 1/8 of an acre on North Wilkinson Street for $1.00 (one-dollars). The original name of the church was Oak Lawn and the name was changed between 1897 and 1905. This church building on Wilkinson Street was burned on November 27, 1917; the local newspaper reported that the church was valued at $1000.00 and there was not any insurance.
On July 22, 1918, there was a collective effort to purchase the property where the church is located today. Dea. Eli Barnes, Dea. Horace Jordan, and Dea. C. Barnes carried out the purchase of 1/8 of land on Irwin Street for $90.00. We are thankful to the early saints of this church for their tireless efforts to continue on in spite of trials and tribulations. In addition to Rev. Carr, here are the known pastors that served the church.
Pastoral History of Elbethel
Rev. Charlie Reese 1918-1920
Rev. Daniel 1920-1925
Rev. T.T. Ball 1932-1933
Rev. Brooks 1933-1937
Rev. Mark Reeves 1938-1939
Rev. Paul Roberts 1939-1978
Rev. T.O Rockmore 1979-2021
Rev. Julius Trawick 2022-Present
Under Rev. Rockmore’s leadership, the church has expanded in many areas. Current auxiliaries are the Deacon Ministry, Deaconess, Mother Ministry, Usher Ministry, and three choirs. Other ministers are the Sunday School, Media Ministry, Sunbeam Club, Royal Ambassador, Bible Study, Women’s Bible Study, and Men’s bible Study.
In 2009, the members of ElBethel took on the greatest challenge of our existence. We decided to build a new sanctuary that would be three times the size of the existing one. The project would take twelve months. While the building project was in progress, we had regular service at the Union Bapt. Church on Clark Street on the 1st and 3rd Sunday and the Sunday School met at the Boys and Girls club every Sunday. Church meetings were held at Lee Chapel and the auxiliaries met at the church’s rental house. In 2011, the 1st Sunday of the year, we entered the new building. All praises go to our God who brought us through.
Our focus and mission is to be the church that honor God, preach Christ’s crucify, one that build relationship between God and man, and the church that is actively spreading the gospel daily both in words and deeds to the whosoever’s will.
Dea. Deasmore Dea. Joe Hood Dea. Andrew Carpenter
Dea. Ike McGriff Dea. Shed Banks Dea. John Key
Dea. Square Barnes Dea. Elijah Barnes. Dea. Dennis Tolbert, Sr.
Dea. Glenza Wray Dea. Carl Harden Dea. Warren Hicks
Dea. Early Kelsey Dea. John H. Roach, Sr. Dea. John H. Hill
Dea. Harry Overstreet Dea. Willie Young, Sr. Dea. Arthur Johnson
Dea. Allandis Jones Dea. Joesph Simmons Dea. John H. Roach Jr.
Dea. Curtis Davis
Dea. Marion Baymon
Dea. Lastarza Thomas
Dea. Willie Young Jr.
Dea. Michael Simmons
Dea. Benny Young
Dea. Larry Dixon
Dea. Gerald Jackson
Dea. Lenwood May
Dea. Freddie Parks
Dea. Melvin Baymon Sr.
For 126 years, we have survived and thrived. You see our glory but you don’t know our story. The road has not be easy, there has been ups and down, we stand before you blessed, joyful and humble, Because now we understand that Jesus stands with us ----so when we are led, we continue to share our story and we give God all the glory!